The Program Manager serves as the focal point for members and is responsible for coordination, execution, and administration of the recruitment, retention, and engagement of members. Within the context of organizational mission, goals, values, and other programs, the Program Manager is responsible for meeting membership goals, communicating with our audiences, and engaging members and others in the organization's work.
This person is the primary point of contact for CalNonprofits members, with the opportunity to deepen relationships with a wide variety of nonprofits across California from all subsectors and geographies. As membership and advocacy go hand in hand at CalNonprofits, the Program Manager will also work on membership-related projects where needed.
Please note: San Francisco Bay Area is our preferred location, but we are open to considering applicants in the Los Angeles area. We are currently working remotely, but some in-person office work may be required of the Program Manager.
Program management (75%)
- Develop and execute membership strategies and goals in consultation with senior staff
- Provide outstanding constituent service and warm connections for members and prospective members through answering membership inquiries (e.g., how to join and benefits) as well as general inquiries (e.g., policy updates, events, and nonprofit resources).
- Outreach: Depending on pandemic, attend key member outreach opportunities/events (e.g. exhibitor tabling) and collaborate on webinars; find opportunities for making presentations on the programs, services and benefits of CalNonprofits.
- Oversee and manage preferred vendors to ensure their services are relevant to CalNonprofits members, evaluate potential new preferred vendors, and ensure that members are aware of all benefits options, using emails, webinars, and one-on-one conversations.
- Increase and strengthen membership benefits by recruiting and collaborating with member benefit vendors and organizing member benefit webinars, including the benefit of engaging in nonprofit advocacy.
- Collaborate on communications pieces and vehicles to support CalNonprofits membership initiatives.
- Educate and involve all staff in member recruitment and retention, in understanding effective membership activities, and in the central roles that membership and members play in our strategic goals.
- Effectively articulate CalNonprofits' mission and programs to a variety of audiences.
- Collaborate on, and manage where appropriate, policy-related initiatives and projects.
- Manage relationships and liaise with social enterprise insurance subsidiary (CNIS), point of contact for account managers, and coordination with shared accounting staff
- Collaborate with Education Manager to improve member engagement and meet member needs.
Administrative Management (20%)
- Manage and update CRM database, training staff where needed, to ensure that dues are collected on time to meet revenue and retention goals
- Determine reporting needs and provide reports in support of the membership, advocacy, and other programs
- Supervision and direction of non-exempt full-time Membership Support Associate
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in membership, development/donor relations
- Customer service or related role in a nonprofit organization or trade association
- Self-starter and experience managing multiple projects at once
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English via phone, email, and social media
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an outgoing and open personal style; emotional intelligence to offer superior customer service to our members and community
- Experience working with database(s), with a commitment to data integrity and
meticulous attention to detail
- Intermediate MS Office proficiency including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Excellent internet/web skills
- Desire to learn more about public policy and nonprofits
- Willingness to pitch in when and where needed
- Ability to do occasional travel in California
- Valid driver's license and access to a car to drive for work, or ability to drive a rental car
Additional "nice to have" qualifications
- Experience using Apple products/systems
- Experience with online event production
- Experience working with staff members in different locations
- Experience with community organizing
- Experience using webinar and virtual meeting programs, such as Zoom
- Bilingual in Spanish